There was lot of left over bread corner pieces in the fridge as I had made sandwiches 2 days back. Since I had stored it in an air tight box, it was quite fresh too. As I was thinking of a some quick recipe for breakfast, this idea of making Upma with fresh bread crumbs came up. Idli Upma was the inspiration behind this Upma. Just included some vegetables and chickpeas to make it a wholesome dish. I just followed my instincts to make this quick dish and am very happy to say that the Upma was indeed very soft and delicious. My family also loved it and so am very excited to share this recipe with you all too:)
Fresh bread crumbs- 3 cups
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Chopped carrot- 1/2 cup
Chopped beans – 1/2 cup
Green chillies – 4
Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
Chopped coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
Red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
Dry mango powder- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Sesame oil- 2 tbsps
Mustard- 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Chana dal- 1 tsp
1. Fresh bread crumbs were made by grinding the left over bread corners that were cut while making sandwiches.
2. Heat a pan, add oil.
3. Once the oil heats up, add mustard.
4. When the mustard starts spluttering, add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves and green chillies. Saute it for a second.
5. Add chopped onions and sauté till it turns pink.
6. Now add finely chopped carrot and beans, salt to taste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and dry mango powder and mix well.
7. Add 1/4th cup of water, mix, close the pan and cook till the vegetables turn just tender.
8. Now add the fresh bread crumbs, mix and add 1/2 cup of water, cover and let it cook for few minutes.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve the Upma hot:)
Please check the video link to this recipe👇
Please subscribe to my channel 👇