Today’s breakfast was Sandwich at home. Not a regular sandwich but a different one. It’s a protein rich sandwich made with usual ingredients available at home. This is my own recipe and as always very simple to make. I have used roasted chana dal( chutney dal/ pottu kadalai) flour to make this sandwich which makes it rich in protein. This sandwich is very ideal for growing up kids, sports persons, diabetic people, anyone who wants to increase the protein intake in their diet. The sandwich came out very well and my family loved it. Hope you all would like it too:)
For the batter
Roasted chana dal flour- 1 cup
Rice flour – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4th tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/4th tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4th tsp
Salt to taste
Chopped onion – 1/2 cup
Chopped tomatoes – 1/2 cup
Chopped capsicum – 1/2 cup
For the sandwich
Whole wheat bread- 8 slices
Butter – 4 tbsps
Green chutney- 2 tbsps
Tomato ketchup- 2 tbsps
Cheese slices- 4
To make the batter
1. Add the roasted chana dal flour, rice flour, all the masala powders and salt to taste in bowl and mix it well.
2. Add 3/4th cup of water to the flour and mix it well till it becomes a smooth paste.
3. Add 1/4th water again and mix well. The batter should be thick and of flowing consistency, like a dosa batter. Check for the seasonings.
4. Now, add all the chopped vegetables and mix well again. Batter is ready for making the toast.
To make the sandwich
1. Take a slice of bread, dip it in the batter and coat both sides of the bread well with the batter.
2. Heat a pan or tawa, add little butter and gently place the coated bread. Spread little more butter around it. Close the tawa with the lid and cook till it turn crisp and golden.
3. Flip gently and cook the other side also till it turns golden.
4. Cook all the bread slices like that.
5. On one bread slice, apply green chutney and on another slice, spread some tomato ketchup.
6. Place a cheese slice over the green chutney, cover with the other slice which has tomato ketchup spread.
7. Now grill the toast on both sides till it turns crisp and the cheese begins to melt. Gently press the sandwich and grill it.
8. Cut the sandwich into two and serve hot with green chutney and tomato:)