Tomato rice is a very common dish and made often in most of the households. I made a very different tomato rice few days back for lunch. I had made roasted tomato rice. It was really unique and delicious. My family really liked it. It is my own recipe and like all my recipes, it is very simple and easy to make.
Onion – 3 medium sized
Tomato- 4 medium sized
Cooked rice – 4 cups
Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
Sambar powder- 2 tsps
Mustard- 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Chana dal – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut oil – 2 tbsps
Ghee – 1 tbsp
For the masala
Grated coconut- 1/4th cup
Almond flakes ( badam)- 2 tbsps
Green chillies- 4
Ginger – 1 inch
Fennel seeds ( sombu) – 1 tsp
1. Peel and wash onions and dry them well.
2. Wash and dry the tomatoes.
3. Roast onion and tomato on direct flame till the skin begins to char.
4. Cool and chop both onion and tomatoes.
To make the masala
5. Grind all the ingredients mentioned for the masala to a fine paste adding required water.
To make the rice
6. Heat a pan. Add coconut oil.
7. To the hot oil, add mustard. When it starts spluttering, add urad dal and chana dal and sauté for few seconds.
8. Add curry leaves and the ground masala and sauté till the raw smell goes and oil is released from the masala.
9. Add the chopped onion and tomatoes, turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt to taste.
10. Sauté for a minute, close and cook for few minutes.
11. Now add the cooked rice and mix well.
12. Add ghee and mix well again.
13. Close the pan with a lid and cook for few minutes on a low flame.
14. Serve roasted tomato rice hot with any raita of your choice.