After a long time, I could manage to buy some palak. I initially thought of making palak paneer, but paneer was not available that day. There was corn at home, so decided to use that. I am very fond of Nita Metha’s palak paneer recipe. I made few changes to that recipe to suit to my idea of the recipe and made this delicately flavoured, delicious and creamy Malai Makai Palak. As always, this is an easy to make and a simple recipe.
It came out really well and my family loved it. Hope you all would like it too:)
Chopped Palak – 3 cups
Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
Green chillies. – 5
Kasuri methi. – 1 tsp
Corn. – 1
Onion. – 2 small sized
Gram flour ( besan) – 1 tbsp
Almond flakes. – 1 tbsp
Sugar. – 1/2 tsp
Salt. – to taste
Chopped ginger. – 1 tsp
Amchur powder. – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder. – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder. – 1/4th tsp
Cardamom. – 4
Cloves – 4
Cinnamon stick. – 1/2 inch
Amul Cream. – 2 tbsps
Butter. – 1/2 tbsp
1. Heat a pan. Add 1/2 cup of water. Then add chopped palak, coriander leaves with stems, green chillies, kasuri methi, salt and sugar.
2. Add another 1/2 cup of water and cook for 5-6 mins till the palak is just cooked. Take off the gas, cool and grind it to a purée.
2. Peel and wash the onions and boil till it turns soft.
3. Cool the onions, add gram flour and almonds and grind it to a purée.
4. Peel the corn, remove the fibre, wash and wipe it.
5. Roast the corn directly over the flame with the help of a skewer.
6. Cool and scrape of the kernels.
7. Heat a pan again. Add butter.
8. Once the butter melts, add cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and sauté for few seconds.
9. Then add the onion purée and sauté on a medium flame till the butter starts oozing out.
10. Add 1/2 cup water, mix well till it becomes smooth mixture and cook till it starts simmering.
11. Turn off the gas and then add the palak purée and mix well.
12. Add amchur powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and pepper powder. Mix well and check for the seasonings.
13. Let it cook for few mins. Once it starts simmering again, add the corn kernels, mix well and continue to cook for few more mins.
14. Reduce the flame, add 2 tbsps of cream and mix well.
15. Cook for few minutes and then add chopped ginger.
16. Garnish with fresh cream and serve hot with roti or rice.